Poem after Deaths in Winter

Part I

Here are my lips, my eyes
My heart, my life!

Please, take them all!
They should not be mine
I did not know
this would be our end.

I saw your turning back
The eyes too tearful to see
Were not facing me, but I knew
And didn’t say a word.
And then I heard the news.

I felt my heart stop beating
My scream drowned
the voices, saying I had failed.
Half of me cannot return
But maybe magic will remain.

Part II

I went down to our place today
Hoping it was all a bitter prank.
But this joke was true.
And the magic had died too.

One day late, I know it all.
You were gone and cannot know,
How, guilt drenched in our place,
I stand sobbing, alone, ashamed.

Ahead looped the straggling river
Choked by ice, locked in winter’s kiss.
From the rush of tears, the trees knew
I shouldn’t be alone
But the branches shied away
Granting my shallowest wish.
The last you ever heard.

Were you there too?
In the crying of the pines
The chill down my spine?
But you couldn’t be,
once the magic died.

Part III

A broken heart, left empty on a
Forgettable winter’s day
Is all that’s left
in our magic land.

Earth is huddled in ice
Cowering beneath the snow
It cannot face the sun forever
So it ducks under a thick wet hood.

The trees surround me but you cannot
I have parted you from me
Eternally linked hearts were broken
And you did not survive.

My chances are just as slim
In this hollow place
Where fairies and lovers met
And we saw no difference.

I could stand a thousand years
And never know your spell
To turn this place to life
And give the air
Its fabled diamond heart.

It was not I who brought trees to life
Your eyes were the golden specks
That nymphs and river gods
Loved to look upon each day.
Without you, they are blind to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Know Where the Lost Years Are

Human Nationalists

Lying Lover